JOIN US AT THE 5TH ANNIVERSARY COFFEE SHOP!!

JOIN US AT THE COFFEE SHOP 2009!!

ADUI CELEBRATES 100+!

Recent Posts Giveaway of the Day Imageshack Uploader Go Down

Home Forum Help Search Admin Arcade
Profile Photo Gallery Links Staff list Calendar Members list Recent posts
Welcome to The Coffee Shop! Don't forget to visit our Sister Sites...
Family of Forums Coffee Shop 2009 TV Fanatics The Hideaway Train Station/Diner Coffee Shop Club Lupus/ MCTD Johnz Insane Empire The Tent Dwellers Pogo Finishers All That Care Our Hangout SMF Support Coffeenole.com

The Forum Family Image HostOur Tube-The Family of Forums Video Host
Coffeenole's Coffee Shop
March 29, 2024, 09:52:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Enjoy many of the same features as found on Coffeenole's Original Coffee Shop...

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

linux,

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: linux,  (Read 482 times)
fleamailman
Grand Champion Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 60

« on: November 01, 2007, 04:45:51 am »

the goblin had been asked what linux was, and what linux was about, "...well, put simply it is an alternative system to windows but whereas windows is one company with one product at a time which one buys, linux is now over 350 different distributions(called distros)  it does not cost anything and it is not hidden like windows, imagine that, one doesn't pay for office works either since it has open office(both word, excel and save in PDF as standard) also it is a more stable system, and since malware makers target windows,  it is malware free by default not to mention that if any one distro were to be comprimised by malware, there are 349 others to choose from..." the goblin paused collecting his thoughts "....more points, one does not first install linux like windows to the harddrive only to find that one is missing some drivers, no, one boots up into the ram on linux, yes it is a live test meaning that if one doesn't have the drivers one just tries out the next test with another distro, meaning that the harddrive is untouched in the test, in fact unbelievably one doesn't need to have a harddrive since one can run linux from a USB key too..." the goblin was running out of breath "...anyway if the above is not making sense feel simply you are not ready for linux then but understand this, if you add up all you have paid for each windows system, each officeworks, your yearly protection, and possibly those payments to computer repair shops for various upgrade problems, your hours of scanning with malware removal tools, your time spent waiting for someone to read your hijackthis log etc., etc., etc., you might be ready to get off this leaseware(leaseware as in forcing one to upgrade by withdrawing support, leaseware as in one computer one license, leaseware as in WGA and five times activation, leaseware as in dumping old window98 computers last year) by trying linux on an old computer..." said the goblin flying into a open rant which was very very unlike him because he wanted to be known an albeit mad but friendly goblin

Report Spam   Logged

everyday is a gift

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Princess Buttercup
Coffeenole.com
Super Grand Champion Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 176

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 06:29:23 am »

i have always been scared to put linux on any of my systems but I like the idea of trying it on an old computer, only problem is hubby just got rid of all our old computers LOL
Report Spam   Logged

fleamailman
Grand Champion Author

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 07:49:52 am »

"...princess, your husband has been naughty and must sit in the corner..." said the goblin and then added "...the real good thing about windows98 laptops is that they are very very cheap, you could probably have five window98 laptops for the price of a Vista laptop meaning that each member of the family could have one, and if one broke then what's the loss, I have quite a few old laptops now and I just carry a WIFI stick to connect them to the Internet and here I am, OK the harddrive isn't very big, and no I cannot play games with them, but for daily use they are perfect, malware free and expendable though I sometimes get the feeling that they are in fact more robust than modern laptops..." said the goblin on an old Dell laptop which was XP home to start with
Report Spam   Logged

everyday is a gift
d1me9
Rocky Horror Picture Show Veteran

Coffee Shop Reputation: 848

Waar het hart vol van is, stroomt de mond van over

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 05:29:47 pm »

i have a laptop (toshiba) with Windows XP Professional. I don't know if i would be able to be comfortable with a new system (as linux appears to be a new and different program ) i am very familiar with XP now, and actually will NEVER put Vista on it, because i have heard complaints about the system from a few that have Vista on theirs. The downside is, i have no old computer to try it out on. I have my old Dell laptop, but it got fried
Report Spam   Logged

fleamailman
Grand Champion Author

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:07:03 pm »

"...if you do a live test with the CD you will know if it is right or not, dual boot with XP is another idea if the CD test works that is, but Vista doesn't like sharing the harddrive with another system, anyway no one is pushing here since I believe linux is something for someone who already knows someone on linux, my job is really just to spread the word, since there are many people who still don't know about it.." said the goblin
Report Spam   Logged

everyday is a gift
d1me9
Rocky Horror Picture Show Veteran

Coffee Shop Reputation: 848

Waar het hart vol van is, stroomt de mond van over

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 05:12:43 pm »

how does one do a live test with linux...do i have to go to my friendly neighborhood electronics store, and purcahse a demo, or is there a site online that i can learn more about linux ? Sometimes i like new challenges, then again, i like to research a bit first...
Report Spam   Logged

fleamailman
Grand Champion Author

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 07:09:09 am »

"...d1me9 the test is simply to boot the system from the CD but I don't it is for you quite yet so leave be for now, though to give you an idea here's as simple introduction to one of the hundreds of distributions of linux out there(they are called distros), written by someone rather straight laced whose real name is Dr Jackel, anyway, if you don't heed my advice make sure you can reinstall your windows having all your drivers too, since it doesn't always take and you might not like it..." said the goblin posting Dr. Jackel's link

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/introduction-rave-kubuntu-linux-t168708.html
Report Spam   Logged

everyday is a gift
Big Booper

Coffee Shop Reputation: 221

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 06:44:48 pm »

I brought up this thread and your views regarding linux for my Vocational Rehab Instructor to voice his opinion

You are right on the money    cheering.gif
Report Spam   Logged
fleamailman
Grand Champion Author

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 05:16:49 am »

"...thanks big booper..." said the goblin "...now that microsoft is forcing the hardware upgrade upon people, linux is growing but my advice is to wait till there is someone near you that can advise directly..." repeated the goblin who couldn't stand the fact that people dumped perfectly good old computer for newer ones only because they had been fooled or forced into doing so.
Report Spam   Logged

everyday is a gift
Big Booper

Coffee Shop Reputation: 221

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:15:19 am »

Agreed Goblin once I got rid of all the old files and other junk Windows Me ran just fine for my needs.

In fact it stopped freezing up
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: