JOIN US AT THE 5TH ANNIVERSARY COFFEE SHOP!!

JOIN US AT THE COFFEE SHOP 2009!!

ADUI CELEBRATES 100+!

Recent Posts Giveaway of the Day Imageshack Uploader Go Down

Home Forum Help Search Admin Arcade
Profile Photo Gallery Links Staff list Calendar Members list Recent posts
Welcome to The Coffee Shop! Don't forget to visit our Sister Sites...
Family of Forums Coffee Shop 2009 TV Fanatics The Hideaway Train Station/Diner Coffee Shop Club Lupus/ MCTD Johnz Insane Empire The Tent Dwellers Pogo Finishers All That Care Our Hangout SMF Support Coffeenole.com

The Forum Family Image HostOur Tube-The Family of Forums Video Host
Coffeenole's Coffee Shop
April 19, 2024, 07:17:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Play our trivia games! Links to Coffee Time Trivia, Caillea's Daily Trivia, Kathy's Funtime Trivia, John'z Insane Trivia, and Princess' Friends Trivia are on the portal page!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Problem with my computer

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with my computer  (Read 2078 times)
Big Booper
Super Grand Champion Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 221

« on: August 21, 2007, 03:52:46 am »

It will say Explorer has caused a problem. Whats the problem?

Ddhelp has caused a error in GDIEXE. Whats that mean?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Remember911
Coffeenole.com

Coffee Shop Reputation: 209

R911 Sails the Seas

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:34:51 am »

GDIEXE is the Graphics Device Interface. It's used for many things like showing various Fonts and Graphics Functions. It's at the core of Windows and IS a very SERIOUS error. More than likely you will have to have windows wiped out on the computer and reloaded. But you can try the usual.

1. Remove ALL temporary internet files. "Disk Clean" in the system tools folder will do this.

2. Run SCANDISK in the system tools folder.

3. Run a complete Virus Scan of your computer.

4. Run Spybot Search and Destroy and remove any bots found.

5. Run Adaware Personal SE and remove any adaware it finds. Do a TOTAL Scan.

6. Defragment your Hard Disk.

Reboot your computer and see IF the problem is fixed. The major problem is the Windows ME. It's been a questionable OS for years. Windows XP is much better.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Booper

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 01:34:59 am »

Surfing the web a program called RegCure will restore my antique computer to normal

What do you think R911?
Report Spam   Logged
Remember911
Coffeenole.com

R911 Sails the Seas

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 03:48:48 am »

That will fix any errors in the windows registry and can't hurt anything but you still need to do the other things which I outlined in the previous message. Those checks can take quite a while and are very tedious but must be done. Any virus, spybots or adaware can dramatically slow down the operation of your computer as well as cause many quirky error messages and operation of the machine.

I wish you were in the area so I could fix it for you myself. Those problems would not have the half-life of a moth....
Report Spam   Logged
Big Booper

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 12:03:40 am »

Today I have been removing programs that I don't use and found some that were never completely installed.....poofed them too

Feel like a axe murderer

Error messages have stopped..but for how long

Do you recommend me purchasing a Windows XP or should I go for Vista

Don't know how long Microsoft will manage XP
Windows 98 and Me were deleted in July of this year
Report Spam   Logged
Big Booper

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 12:11:01 am »

Looks like I spoke too soon. Reading greg64's thread XP will be alive and well another two years

Taking home study courses which will lead towards me starting a business in 2008

Your opinion R911 is always welcome
Report Spam   Logged
Sunrbunns
Coffee Shop Moderator

Coffee Shop Reputation: 142

"No Tan Lines"

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:12:05 am »

Donnie,
I had a very similar thing with my ME computer a few months ago.  I ended up with a "lock up" and the screen going to the "safe mode" and not wanting to continue.  I had heard that ME was a bad system put on the market back in 2000 in a hurry up during the Y2K scare. 
I finally broke down and bought a new computer.  My computer store built one from scratch for me.  They recommended not buying a Vista platform, as Vista has some issues with some of the virus programs.  They said Microsoft will support XP for several years to come.....so I had them build an xp system.  Also, the new computers now days do not come with a diskette drive, they put one in mine for an additional $10.00, I have several things stored on diskettes so this made it nice for me not to have to transfer any files over.  They also were able to capture any files I had on my old ME machine like photos, doc files, etc.  I was glad for that.  All in all, I now have a machine with XP, CD-RW drive, Diskette drive, flat screen monitor and it only set me back $700.  I'm happy with it.  Good luck on your system troubles.
Report Spam   Logged

"Life's race is run by Faith and won by Grace"
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --  to move in the opposite direction"
REBELJACK
New Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 20

The South will rise and SHINE again!

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 11:03:24 pm »

Go with Mozilla Firefox is hassle free. Internet Explorer is a piece of Crap now a days.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember911
Coffeenole.com

R911 Sails the Seas

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 10:25:34 am »

Donnie,
I had a very similar thing with my ME computer a few months ago.  I ended up with a "lock up" and the screen going to the "safe mode" and not wanting to continue.  I had heard that ME was a bad system put on the market back in 2000 in a hurry up during the Y2K scare. 
I finally broke down and bought a new computer.  My computer store built one from scratch for me.  They recommended not buying a Vista platform, as Vista has some issues with some of the virus programs.  They said Microsoft will support XP for several years to come.....so I had them build an xp system.  Also, the new computers now days do not come with a diskette drive, they put one in mine for an additional $10.00, I have several things stored on diskettes so this made it nice for me not to have to transfer any files over.  They also were able to capture any files I had on my old ME machine like photos, doc files, etc.  I was glad for that.  All in all, I now have a machine with XP, CD-RW drive, Diskette drive, flat screen monitor and it only set me back $700.  I'm happy with it.  Good luck on your system troubles.

Excellent Advice, I concur
Report Spam   Logged
Princess Buttercup
Coffeenole.com

Coffee Shop Reputation: 176

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 11:26:32 am »

i agree about fire fox although I still have to use expo every now and again as the java script for some of the sites I have to use for work do not work on fire fox
Report Spam   Logged

REBELJACK
New Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 20

The South will rise and SHINE again!

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 07:18:03 pm »

Princess Buttercup was saying you can't run Java Script with Firefox. I use 1.6.0_02 Java Script on my Firefox, And Have no problem.
Report Spam   Logged

Coffeenole
Your humble host.
Founding Father of the Coffee Shop
Grand Champion Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 466

Coffeenole is here!

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 08:23:21 pm »

I use my laptop most of the time...when using IE on TV Fanatics and Coffeenole.com, I was getting a "Run active x..." error that was really annoying.
I downloaded Firefox, and I'm not getting that crap. There's also a spell check feature when typing.

Hey Rebeljack! It's good to see you again. Are you going to the F.S.U.- 'Bama game in Jacksonville this weekend?
Report Spam   Logged

Big Booper

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 05:53:37 pm »

Some family members here use Mozilla Firefox browzer

Would that improve Windows Me?
Report Spam   Logged
fleamailman
Grand Champion Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 60

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 08:00:16 am »

"...hi, if you look at the computer makers, there must be a reason why Dell started coming out with ubuntu linux pre installed models, then levono(thinkpad makers) with suse linux, and now HP with red hat, anyway I am not saying to stop using windows only that one can dual boot(meaning share a computer between two systems) so that one does ones Internet on linux which is malware free and which won't cost you anything to pay, btw add up the money you pay for each of your upgrades(see my avator), your officeworks upgrades too, your yearly protection to norton and the like, and on top of this the fact that upgrades demand ever more advanced hardware(try running vista on a window98se machine then, no way) anyway I am sure you understand the meaning of open source but how many people know the term "leaseware" which is what in fact you have bought, but rather than me wasting my breath, if there is anyone wishing to try dual boot, just let me know but don't try linux without first joining the forum of that distro as there is no reason try it alone..." said the goblin fed up with seeing people stuck on this leaseware upgrade approach by microsoft
Report Spam   Logged

everyday is a gift
Big Booper

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 12:32:13 am »

Honorable fleamailman

In my next life hopefully I can return as a lowly student of GOBLIN

Report Spam   Logged
Remember911
Coffeenole.com

R911 Sails the Seas

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 11:12:35 am »

I use my laptop most of the time...when using IE on TV Fanatics and Coffeenole.com, I was getting a "Run active x..." error that was really annoying.
I downloaded Firefox, and I'm not getting that crap. There's also a spell check feature when typing.

Hey Rebeljack! It's good to see you again. Are you going to the F.S.U.- 'Bama game in Jacksonville this weekend?
Most likely you have a damaged activex object in your Objects folder. Click on Internet options>temporaty files>objects and view it as a detailed list. IF you see "Damaged" just delete it. IE will redownload the active X control and you'll be back in business again. Firefox is nice but they don't patch security holds the way MSIE does and you CAN get hammered by a Lineux Hacker or Mac hacker.
Report Spam   Logged
docputer
New Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 0

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 06:55:40 pm »

El Booper, I only have a minute before suppertime --- which is MOST important; however, if you would like to wipe your ME and go to a really EASY version of Linux, I have it and can burn you a copy and have it in Rancho Cuckoo in a couple of days. Let me know.

Later,
docputer  hi
Report Spam   Logged
rhwd40
Proud owner of Hoof Hearted
Coffeenole.com

Coffee Shop Reputation: 120

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 10:37:29 pm »

Hi doc!
Report Spam   Logged
fleamailman
Grand Champion Author

Coffee Shop Reputation: 60

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 03:06:00 am »

"...wow, a fellow penguin..." said the goblin hopefully, "...here's as simple introduction to one of the hundreds of distributions of linux out there(they are called distros), written by someone rather straight laced I think his real name is Dr Jackel, anyway  el booper I don't know about your next life but if you want a new life, oh and make sure you can reinstall your windows having all your drivers too, since it doesn't always take and you might not like it..." said the goblin posting Dr. Jackel's link

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/introduction-rave-kubuntu-linux-t168708.html
Report Spam   Logged

everyday is a gift
d1me9
Rocky Horror Picture Show Veteran

Coffee Shop Reputation: 848

Waar het hart vol van is, stroomt de mond van over

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 06:48:00 pm »

what, exactly, at the risk of sounding like a doofus to flea/goblin and docputer (hi and good to meet you btw), IS Linux ? Is it like a new program like Windows XP or Vista ? Is it something that will be widespread soon ?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: